November 23, 2020 Update:
Boulder County Parks & Open Space (BCPOS) gave another update on Heil Valley Ranch at the November 19 POSAC Meeting. Some highlights:
- BCPOS is developing a recovery plan and looking for funding.
- Soil erosion is a huge concern. The most severe fire damage is above the Greer drainage. Erosion can cause landslides or contaminate the water supply.
- Recovery will involve re-seeding and mulch dropping.
- Much of the recovery work will be happening in Spring 2021
- BCPOS is considering the request to open Picture Rock trail as far as deemed safe.
Watch Resource Management Manager Therese Glowacki’s 10 minute update to POSAC.
November 2, 2020 Update: Image gallery updated with new photos from Wapiti, Ponderosa Loop and Lichen Loop
At the Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020 Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee (POSAC) meeting, Boulder County Parks & Open Space Director (BCPOS) Director Eric Lane and Senior Forestry Resource Specialist Stefan Reinold gave a great update on their initial look at fire impacts to Heil Valley Ranch.
- No impacts to Corral Trailhead area/infrastructure. Fire retardant air drops provided great protection of the Corral area and Altona Schoolhouse and infrastructure.
- Limited impact to upper trailhead area (1 bridge destroyed, 1 bridge damaged, some trees were damaged and will die).
- Resident Ranger Grady’s house is fine, no damage. Historic barn and cabin also survived. Wildfire mitigation work and good maintenance were factors.
- Low overall impact to trees in many areas where past wildfire mitigation and forest treatment and prescribed fire work occurred.
- Areas of high fire impact, mainly on the western and more dense forest areas. Heavy or compete tree loss in places, high heat burn in places.
- Post-fire soil erosion will be a concern in places.
- Big log pile from the forest thinning that was to be used as biomass is gone.
- No mention of trail impacts.
- The losses could have been much worse.
- The deer are fine!!! The turkeys are fine!!!
BMA is committed to helping our partner BCPOS with the re-opening of Heil. Sign up here for email alerts for volunteer opportunities.
Click on the image to see full gallery.
Here’s a link to the 25 minute presentation.